The e-Notary system is an environment which helps notaries in their everyday work and allows electronic communication between notaries and the state. The environment is established with notaries in mind and it allows them to do everything they need in their work; the system also allows making queries to 16 different registries (for example the Marital Property Register, the Official Announcements, the Estonian Central Registry of Securities, the Register of Constructions, the Land Register, the Traffic Registry, the Land Cadastre, the Succession Register, the Population Register, the Registry of Recreational Craft, the Business Register). The system is owned by the Chamber of Notaries and the servers are administrated by the Centre of Registers and Information Systems; the latter also provides user support, trains users and develops the system.
The e-Notary programme can only be used by notaries and notary office employees (deputy notaries, lawyers, secretaries, receptionists and archive employees).
The e-Notary system allows:
- Keeping a daily schedule of notarising activities and keeping a personal calendar for users;
- Making reliable queries to state registries;
- Preparing agreements and digitally sign them;
- Registering official activities (official acts and services);
- Recording deposits;
- Issuing apostilles;
- Preparing invoices and state fee payment orders;
- Forwarding records to state registries.
- To be the means which allows making necessary actions in the notary’s office;
- To create a registry of notarised acts in a unified, high-security environment;
- To minimise duplicated entry of data, paperwork and printing for both notaries and registrars;
- To contribute to the development and enhancement of other systems;
- To make it simple for clients to deal with notaries – unlike before, the client doesn't have to preset a large amount of paper documents to the notary anymore;
- Via the e-Notary system, the notaries themselves can also review the necessary data.